Tuesday 21 August 2012

Mushroom and Spinach Omlette

I feel like a big kid at Christmas.  I got my second Thermomix bowl delivered today and I’m super excited! As fellow Thermomixer’s know, these knifty little machines can be very inspiring and it’s easy to have several creations on the go at once.  It was actually veggie daddy who suggested I get a second bowl after I recently catered for our son's 1st birthday / christening and made an indian feast for my birthday.  To be efficient with one bowl you need a certain amount of planning, ie doing all your grinding or milling at once to be time effective, or sequencing your dishes to minimise washing between.  So now with a second bowl, does it mean I can make twice as much…


Mushroom and Spinach Omlette with toasted olive bread

Speaking of time efficiency, this recipe is super quick, healthy and most importantly tasty.  It’s easy to whip up for a breakfast, lunch or dinner and is flexible with what toppings you add.  I  simply love the way the Thermomix beats egg whites making recipes like this failproof.  It is so light and fluffy that's it's too thick to fold in half and is more pizza style.  I used 6 eggs for a family of four and a large frypan but this could easily be reduced to suit.  In fact I’m leaving the recipe quite open and as a guide to your imagination…

 Mushroom and Spinach Omlette

Preheat oven or grill to 180°.

Grate approx 50 grams cheese (I combined tasty and swiss) 6 sec speed 8 in TM and set aside.

Wash and dry TM (or use 2nd bowl if you have one!)

Slice a handful of mushrooms and lightly sauté with a little butter, fresh herbs and pepper in a non-stick frypan.  When starting to brown, add a good handful of baby spinach until just starting to wilt.  Remove from pan and set aside.  I find doing this first in the same frypan ensures it’s well heated and seasoned for the omlette. 

Separate 6 room temperature eggs and place egg whites into clean TM bowl. 

Insert Butterfly and beat without MC for approx 3 minutes 50° speed 4 (wow!)

Reduce to speed  2 and drizzle in egg yolks for about 5-6 seconds or until only just combined and without sacrificing those gorgeous egg whites.

Pour into frypan and over medium heat cook about 5 minutes until edges start to cook.

Sprinkle mushrooms, spinach and cheese over top and grill for another 5 minutes until cheese is melted and omlette is only just set.

Serve with your favourite Thermomix bread or salad and enjoy!

Summer waiting for breakfast


No comments:

Post a Comment