Wednesday 12 September 2012

Super Soft Buttermilk Rolls


I’m so excited to share that I today I have made the softest, fluffiest bread rolls that not only have I ever made but ever had the pleasure of eating!  And a special thanks to Tenina who provided this recipe on her website which I only changed a little.  And the result was light, melt in your mouth bread rolls that disappeared very quickly.

 

Like many others I had made a fresh batch of butter this morning and while I usually make the Buttermilk bread in the Thermomix EDC I ventured for something a little different and am certainly glad I did. Tenina provides a link which discusses the science of buttermilk and the effect it has on the bread.  The recipe is also a little different in that it starts with a roux.  My variations included reducing the sugar and I used half buttermilk / half water for the dough just because that's how much buttermilk I had from my butter.  And as there was a little butter left in the bowl to start with, I reduced it for the dough to balance out.

It is truely devine!



Super Soft Buttermilk Rolls

Roux:
30g flour
10g sugar
120g buttermilk

Dough:
350g bakers flour
Pinch salt
25g butter
110g buttermilk
100g water
1 sachet dried yeast (2tsp)

  • Place Roux ingredients into Thermomix bowl and cook for 3 minutes at 80°C on speed 3. Cool slightly. Leave in Thermomix bowl.
  • Add all dough ingredients except yeast to cooked Roux in Thermomix bowl and mix for 10 seconds on speed 6
  • Add yeast and with dial set to closed lid position, knead for 4 minutes at Interval speed
  • Leave in bowl with lid on in a warm place to  prove until doubled
  • Shape into rolls with wet hands. (This makes the stickiness easier to cope with.) Place onto lined baking sheet or Thermomat and dust with flour
  • Cover and rise again
  • Place into cold oven and bake for 15-20 minutes at 200°C

Enjoy! (especially with fresh butter straight from the oven!)

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes! Amazing but true which goes against the normal hot oven technique of baking bread. Often used in Asian breads I believe and helps them rise without forming a hard crust.

      Delete