Saturday 13 July 2013

Lemonies (Lemon Brownies!)

It’s the end of an era ...  and the end of my bountiful supply of lemons!

The last of the lemons...

My parents have left their family home.  After over 35 years as a home to three children, countless friends and welcome visitors, a backyard wedding and now three grandchildren, it’s been a home well loved.  While this has been a family home for so long and there was an incredible amount to move, my parents have been by far the most organised movers I’ve ever known (and the Salvos have been well donated to!)

 
Bit sized, tart, lemon brownies or lemonies!

Yesterday I took my kids for one last goodbye to the empty home and if walls could speak there’d be thousands of stories told by these walls.  Ahh the memories...
 
Our other goodbye was to the lemon tree.  The most bountiful lemon tree I have ever known.  It produces large, juicy fruit almost all year round and in fact, I think I’ve bought a lemon just once in my life and I use a lot of lemons!  So for the Willow Tree farewell party my parents recently had, desert was all about lemons.  Mum made a classic no bake lemon slice, my sister made gorgeous miniature lemon meringue pies and I made my new discovery ... lemon brownies, or lemonies as we’ve started to call them.  And you know what?  I think I like them more than chocolate brownies, and that’s saying something!

So if you know someone with a lemon tree, grab a few and give it try.

Lemonies
Rind of 2 lemons
250g raw sugar
250g butter, cubed
4 eggs
230g plain flour
90g coconut, desiccated
60g of lemon juice (around 1 large lemon)
 
Icing:
½ cup icing sugar
1 tbls lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest

  • Line a 20x30cm slice tray with baking paper and preheat the oven to 180°
  • Place the lemon rind in the TM bowl and mill for 10 seconds on speed 9.  Remove 1 tsp of zest for icing later
  • Add the sugar to TM bowl with zest and further mill for 4 seconds on speed 9
  • Add the butter and heat for 3 minutes on 60 degrees on speed 2 to melt
  • Add the eggs and mix together on speed 3 for about 20 seconds
  • Add the flour, coconut and lemon juice and mix together for 8 seconds on speed 6
  • Spread the mixture evenly into the tray and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is just set to keep the lemonies a bit fudgey
  • Place onto a cooling rack to cool while making icing
  • Icing: mix ½ cup icing sugar, 1 tbls lemon juice and 1 tsp lemon zest  until smooth then poor over cooled lemonies
  • Serve in small pieces
 



No comments:

Post a Comment